PHES facilities provide a number of benefits such as improved energy regulation and operation of the supply grid, ancillary services aswell as environmental benefits.
These can be summarized as follows:
- Blackstart Capability: Pumped storage plants can be started without the help of the electrical grid.
- Balancing Power: As shown below pumped storage plants can be used in order to deliver balancing power.
- Fast Response: System operators need to be able to supply additional electricity within seconds.
- Environmental benefits: Reduced gaseous emissions.
- Commodity storage: Peaks in the energy system are levelled out using excess electrical power.